Sunday, April 13, 2014

Stardust,The Scarlet Letter, and pointless objects

Even though my classmates have spoken about what a good book Stardust is and all the subtle meanings behind it, (as with any book) I find myself having trouble getting into the book, as in I still haven’t read past the first chapter. It is eerily similar to a classic novel, though not fantasy, opening from The Scarlet Letter. For those of you who haven’t read the book the whole first chapter is about one thousand words describing a door, how red it is, the vines coming off of it and things of the like. Keep in mind I haven’t picked up the book in seven years and I still remember the grueling detail in which this door was described. I see this similarity with describing the grey wall with the opening to the other side. Some may not think this is bad but when I first started to read The Scarlet Letter it was not of my own choice and I was 13. So basically tortured through that chapter and gave up. My question is why do some writers go through that much detail on some inanimate object that probably won’t make it past chapter three?
What is the point of making a reader envision something with such detail only to forget about it later? As an avid reader I am frustrated with an author’s willingness to drag out a story like that. Why can’t the door be old and red? Why can’t the wall just be grey and have a hole in it? I would just like to understand how relevant the life story of a wall is or anything similar.

This is not to say that the scarlet letter is a bad book, nor do I mean that about Stardust, but why push such significance on something that doesn't matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment