Tuesday, April 15, 2014

An "Adult" Novel

(Forgive me! Apparently, I typed this out on a Word document and forgot to paste it on the blog!)

I'm conflicted about the way I like this book. I like it... and I don't. There is something more appealing to me about the writing style of this one compared to those of The Hobbit or The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. I think it is because Neil Gaiman displays a sort of wit and intelligence in his writing, even though he is still simple with words and straightforward with concepts. This might have to do with the intended audience? I know Dr. Smith asked us if a ten year old would read this if we got rid of the sex scenes… But I wonder if this novel was not intended for children at all. One of the reviews on the first page of my book claims that Stardust is “an adult fairy tale.” Why put that kind of label on it? Of course, the reviewer could be thinking of the sex. After all, sex scenes, no matter explicit or vague, automatically sort novels/movies/shows/poetry into adult (or at least teen) categories. This, his wit, and his choice of multiple story lines might complicate the novel enough to label it "adult."

No comments:

Post a Comment