Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fantasy and Song: Music Helps Paint the Picture



To me, movies and music go hand in hand. When I'm writing a script, one of the first things I do is find the music I'm going to play for the opening sequence.
- Quinten Tarantino 

For this project I'd like to share with you all the impact of music on fantasy films. Obviously we know that there are a great many authors that have painted beautiful worlds with their words and structure. I think that movies have also done a great job in creating many of those worlds for us in different forms. Music is one of the ways that films help create the atmosphere of a created world. Being a bit of a film score buff myself, I am very passionate about music in film and I hope that by sharing with you some of my views on fantasy film music that I may spread that passion to you as well. 

For the purposes of this project I will show three examples of film music, as well as one game that I feel will help portray the way I feel about this subject. The reason I am including a game is because I believe that you cannot bring up fantasy music without bringing this particular game into the discussion. 

"Hedwig's Theme" 

Okay, for the first piece I'd like to show you I can't help but start off with Harry Potter. This is one of the first fantasy movies that I actually remember watching and have been hooked from a young age ever since. All of the films have great music and the composers that have been apart of the films have definitely had an impact on those that have watched the films. I would like to note that the films have had different composers and that the main theme was written by John Williams. The last two movies (Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2) were scored by Alexandre Desplat. If you've never heard of him dear lord look him up! 

This theme was written by John Williams and though he only composed the first three films this piece has been peppered throughout most of the film scores in some way or another. It is interesting to mention that while it is titled "Hedwig's theme" the track does not represent Hedwig herself but rather the idea of of the wizarding world and magic as a whole. That being said I do think that the name is appropriate as Hedwig represents a lot of what the series revolves around. She is a representative of both magic and the natural world, kind of in the way that Harry comes from both worlds growing up with the Dursleys and then being thrust into the wizarding world at a young age. 

So what is it about this theme that has made it so integral to this series. I myself can hardly read any of the books without this tune cavorting around inside of my head. I find myself asking what is it about this track that has gotten itself to that place in my mind. I think the answer is quite simple actually. This song invokes a lot of the wonder and awe that comes with magic. Magic is often portrayed as being mysterious and wholly other, this song is an embodiment of what it is to be other. That it also why I think it is aptly named "Hedwig's theme". Just as I said above, Hedwig sort of exemplifies Harry's experience in the magical world and therefore it follows that this song is named after her. Because this song portrays the mysterious experience that we have when we enter Harry's world, I think that is why it has become so attached to the experience of Harry Potter itself. 

"The Legend of Zelda Main Theme"
or 
"Overworld Theme"

Next up we have the game series that I believe has influenced a lot of fantasy music in general, whether be it film or game: The Legend of Zelda. This track was composed by Koji Kondo for the first game of the series released in 1986. It is highly regarded as one of the best video game scores of all time and is highly recognizable all over the world. The legend of Zelda has always been a game that has had music directly apart of the gameplay. This is actually been one of its distinguishing traits as a game, a trait that has set it above others in this sense. Being of the fantasy genre and also being one of the earliest fantasy games, I believe that Zelda has had a lot of influence on music as apart of fantasy inspired media. 
As for the elements of the song, at least when I listen to it I picture images of a hero. Bravery and courage are invoked with the hearing of this piece and these are definitely traits that heroes have right? This may be because I have played most of the games.... or all of them, but still I think that the idea of a hero and his respective journey are very closely attached to this piece. You decide for yourself. 

"Zelda's Lullaby"
I just really like this song. Guilty pleasure excuse me... 



"Here Comes The King"

Okay, so this song isn't actually apart of the movie, but rather it was apart of the trailer and the marketing campaign for the movie when it was released in 2005.  Since it was apart of the trailer I believe that it kind of sets the tone for the whole movie and that is why I chose it. I also think it exemplifies a lot of what the movie is about. Every bit of this film convinces me that it is an epic. A fantasy tale of war and overcoming. Much of what this movie portrays is the battle between the Lion and the witch. This struggle sets the stage for the movie and I think it is evident within this song. Of course isn't that what a lot of fantasy tales are about? The struggle, the trial, the motivation and story of becoming. These are all things that are comprised in most fantasy stories and I think all of these traits are evident in this track. If you listen to it closely you can kind of hear the resemblance to a lot of the Legend of Zelda music, but maybe that's just me.


"Old Friends"
Finally we arrive at what I believe is one of the most brilliant written movie scores ever, aside from just fantasy films. The Hobbit, let alone all of the Lord of the Rings movies have such beautifully written scores, and this really helps reflect the world that is being constructed in the images that we see. 
I have a lot to say about this particular piece because it is a rehash of a theme written for the first Lord of the Rings movie. That being said I do not refer to it in this way negatively. In fact, I think that there are a number of important distinctions to make. 
Firstly, the original song entitled, "Concerning Hobbits", was written for "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. What is so interesting is that while I was digging into the history of this piece I came upon the idea that that the differences in these two pieces tells us a lot about the respective journeys taking place in these two fantasy stories. 
On comparing these two tracks the first thing that comes to mind is that "Old Friends" is a bit softer and in fact slower than it's counterpart by about 20 beats per minute. Now you may ask why is that important? I say this: I think that this shows the scope of the journeys undertaken in these films by their respective characters. Bilbo's tale can be seen as smaller in scale and very much so sets events into action for the LOTR films. When compared to the scope and impact of Frodo's journey, Bilbo's pales in comparison, This is not to say that Bilbo's journey is any less important, just that it can be seen as smaller and full of a sense of humility when looking forward to Frodo's undertaking. Hopefully my comparison makes sense not only in my head but yours as well.

To conclude, I've really enjoyed looking over these pieces that I've showed you and I hope that in reading this presentation that you gain a deeper appreciation for music, not only in fantasy films, but for all films as well. I think too often the music in films is pushed aside in our consciousness and not given it's rightful place in our thoughts. I personally think that film composers are brilliant and I deeply appreciate what they do. Music helps paint the picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment