Sunday, March 30, 2014

Character Analysis Through the Lens of my Broken Spectacles

Now I know I may have ruffled a few feathers about my disagreement with banning the Harry Potter series. I did not mean to come across saying anyone had bad parents. Globally, I think the government should not tell us what we can and cannot read. It is the role of the parent to guide their children. However, I think my parents handled this area of my life the best, despite their flaws. See my mother encouraged me to read and connect with the characters, because she believed if I could get through these huge novels in the second grade with ease, I would have a chance in college. When my father's small group questioned him in allowing me to read the series, he asked me what I was getting from the books. When I told him that I was seeing reflections of me in the characters and noticing their flaws and how they overcome evil, he relaxed. He knew I was more of a mature critical thinker than his peers.  
Now I may be way too much of a nerd/fan when I say this, but when I hear the theme song of Harry Potter, it brings me back to the good parts of my childhood. For me, reading the books, waiting in the obnoxiously long lines at the theater, and going to the midnight release of the last book were some of the best highlights of my life. Through Harry, I made my best friends, forgave my parents, and learned to give people a chance. As I look in the Mirror of Erised, I see the reflections of Malfoy, Hermione, and Harry in myself. 
I see myself in Malfoy. I do not like it. I am unsettled and squirm when I recognize this. I feel as though the sorting hat is pushing me into it, but the truth is: the flaws you dislike the most in someone, are usually the flaws you have yourself. Malfoy is the very opposite of Harry and has a pervasive sense of entitlement, snobbery, and is generally unpleasant character. I recoil a little when I recognize myself acting out these characteristics. I feel like it is so easy to judge Malfoy, but really, are we all naturally like him? Rowling includes Malfoy to be a foil to Harry’s character, so that you can see how unlikable Malfoy is and appreciate Harry’s kindness and generosity so much more. As I look into the mirror, I need to remind myself how I can become Malfoy so easily if I let my selfish pride take over. Malfoy is also a reminder that at Hogwarts (or life in general), Harry (I) will not be surrounded simply by kindness, but will have to face unpleasantness as well.
I easily connected with Hermione. Growing up, I was always the annoying perfectionist, goody-two-shoes, with my hand enthusiastically stuck up in the air, never breaking the rules. I can even see my younger self in her as I wanted to impress people with my knowledge, but like most people, Harry only wanted to make friends. Hermione and I most likely developed this front to be a defense against our feelings of inferiority, because she comes from a Muggle family (and I come from a divorced, poor, mixed race family). Hermione becomes likable when she makes herself vulnerable and lies to the teacher as she has recognized that loyalty, compassion for others is more important than a score on any exam. 
Of course, I really want to see my self in Harry Potter, especially since he is the hero of the story. Although I was not orphaned as a baby, I have felt toatally alone. When my parents began their long drawn out bitter custody battle, I remember feeling orphaned. I felt like I had no one I could trust. Just like Harry, I felt neglected and disdained, timid  and unsure of my abilities. His Cinderella story is certainly inspiring, because instead of becoming the Malfoy he could easily be as the famous Boy Who Lived, he remains to be the same old Harry. After he becomes famous, Harry never loses his modesty and humility. Harry’s capacity for loyal friendship is one of his most attractive features. This and overcoming his early loneliness is almost as inspiring as his defeat of evil Voldemort. I hope that I will reflect Harry's loyalty and humility, no matter how famous I may or may not be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment