Saturday, February 1, 2014

Fantasy Races and Starting The Wood Beyond the World

    As I started reading The Wood Beyond the World, I was immediately struck by how the book itself read. Morris used very old fashioned wording in the conversations and descriptions, but it was very easy for me to get into because the book kicked off right away. So far I really like the main character and feel very sorry for his situation. I think Morris did a very good job establishing sympathy for the character in a very short period of time.
    Later when Golden Walter sees the maiden, the dwarf, and the stately lady the description of the women reminded me instantly of The Lord of the Rings. They were described as being radiant, ethereal and very beautiful which reminded me of how Galadriel and Arwen were described and shown in the Lord of the Rings books and movies. When Golden saw them he was in awe and all he noticed on the dock was them. They were that mesmerizing and exotic to him.
     I also noticed how the dwarf was so drastically different than they are in Tolkien’s, and most other, fantasy works. The dwarf was described as being dark and having “dog-teeth”. In more modern fantasy dwarves normally have a Scottish brogue, broad build, beard, and are generally short versions of men.
     It’s always intriguing to me to see a different description of classic fantasy races, but I do enjoy reading about a more general elf-type woman as well. I’m very excited to read the rest of Morris’s book.

No comments:

Post a Comment